Deliciously Tangy Key Lime Pie
Key Lime Pie is a classic dessert that hails from the Florida Keys, known for its irresistible sweet-tart flavor and creamy texture. This recipe will guide you through creating a delightful Key Lime Pie that will transport your taste buds to a tropical paradise.
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (about 10 whole graham crackers)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- A pinch of salt
For the Key Lime Filling:
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice (about 15-20 key limes)
- Zest of 2 key limes
For the Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Prepare the Graham Cracker Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers until you have fine crumbs.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, granulated sugar, and a pinch of salt. Mix until the crumbs are evenly coated.
- Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie dish, ensuring an even layer on the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes until it’s lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let it cool while you prepare the filling.
2. Make the Key Lime Filling:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks until well combined.
- Gradually add the key lime juice and zest, continuing to whisk until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Pour the filling into the cooled graham cracker crust.
3. Bake the Pie:
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges are set, and the center is slightly jiggly but not liquid.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Then, refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until chilled.
4. Prepare the Whipped Cream Topping:
- Just before serving, prepare the whipped cream. In a mixing bowl, whip the chilled heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and continue whipping until you have stiff peaks.
- Slice the Key Lime Pie into wedges and top each slice with a dollop of freshly whipped cream.
- Garnish with extra key lime zest for a burst of color and flavor.
- If you can’t find key limes, you can use regular limes, but the flavor will be slightly different. Key limes have a unique and more intense tartness.
- For a decorative touch, you can pipe the whipped cream onto the pie using a pastry bag and a star tip.
- Chill your mixing bowl and beaters or whisk attachment in the freezer for a few minutes before whipping the cream. This will help it whip up faster.
For a fun twist on the classic Key Lime Pie, you can make Key Lime Pie Bars. Simply follow the same recipe, but press the graham cracker crust into a square baking dish and adjust the baking time accordingly. Cut into bars once chilled.
Now you’re ready to savor the refreshing, zesty goodness of homemade Key Lime Pie. It’s the perfect dessert to enjoy on a warm summer day or any time you crave a taste of the tropics!