John Wayne casserole is cozy comfort food at its best. You’re going to love the Southwestern flavor of this hearty family classic. This is one of my favorite easy ground beef recipes!
- First, preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch bakingdish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Next, in a 12-inch skillet, brown the ground beef until thoroughly cooked, then drain and return to the skillet. Add ¾ cup water, the taco seasoning packet and bring to a boil. Add the onion and the peppers. Turn down the heat and simmer for three to five minutes, or until the onions and peppers begin to soften. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the biscuit mix and ⅔ cup water to make a soft dough. Now, press the dough into the bottom and up the sides about ½ inch in the prepared baking dish. The dough is sticky, so I used parchment paper to press it out on the bottom. Because of this, I also used a spatula to bring it up the sides. John Wayne casserole is all about layers, so, get ready to create your dish!
- Now you’ll want to use a small bowl to mix together the mayonnaise, the sour cream, and half the cheese. Set aside.
- Spread the beef mixture evenly over the biscuit layer. Evenly layer the sliced tomatoes over the beef mixture. Evenly layer the green chilies over the tomatoes. Evenly spread the sour cream mixture over the green chilies.
- Finally, top with remaining cheese. Bake your John Wayne casserole for 30 to 35 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
Have you ever heard of John Wayne Casserole? There’s an interesting story, but what’s important is that this beef and biscuit casserole is delicious!
- 2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 (1.25-ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces mayonnaise
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced jalapeno peppers
- 1. Heat oven to 325. Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning and water, according to packet instructions; set aside.
- 2. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, and half of the onions; set aside.
- 3. Stir biscuit mix and water (directions on box) to form soft dough. Pat dough on the bottom and one-half-inch up the sides of an 9 x 13 in. greased casserole dish.
- 4. Saute remaining onions and bell peppers until slightly tender.
- 5. On top of biscuit mix, evenly distribute ingredients in the following order: ground beef, tomato slices, green peppers, onions, jalapeno peppers, sour cream mixture and end with remaining shredded cheese.
- 6. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until edges of dough are lightly browned.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE.. PLEASE, USE THE NEXT PAGE LINK BUTTON OR OPPEN BUTTON BELOW FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!