ITALIAN HOT CHOCOLATE
- 4 oz. dark chocolate, shaved
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- whipped cream, optional
- Place shaved chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat and add 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir chocolate as it begins to melt.
- Slowly add remaining milk and continuing stirring until completely smooth.
- Add in sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and sea salt, and stir until everything is dissolved and combined.
- Once mixture boils, let it cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until thickened enough that it coats the back of your spoon.
- Pour into 2 mugs (top with whipped cream if desired) and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Bell’Alimento