To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
- For the stock:
- 1 (3-4 pound) chicken, giblets removed
- 3 carrots, peeled and halved
- 2 celery stalks, halved
- 1 head garlic, halved horizontally
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 12 cups water
- For the soup:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large Russett potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into ½ inch rounds
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken
- 8 cups chicken broth
- Place 1 whole chicken, giblets removed into a large stockpot.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic, onions, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, salt, and peppercorns to the stockpot.
- Cover chicken with water, approximately 12 cups. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 60-90 minutes.
- Remove chicken from stockpot. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, shred 2-3 cups of the chicken then discard the rest.
- Strain vegetables and herbs from the stock and discard any chicken skin and bones. Reserve 8 cups of broth for the soup. Store remaining broth in the refrigerator or freeze.
- In the same stock pot, melt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, carrots, and celery until just softened. Add diced potatoes.
- Pour 8 cups of homemade chicken stock into pot. Bring to a low boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes before adding 1 cup frozen peas and the shredded chicken. Soup is ready to eat once peas have warmed through.
PLEASE, USE THE NEXT PAGE LINK BUTTON FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES AND DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY ON FACEBOOK.