This lasagna is the quintessential Italian recipe. Why? Because, like most good Italian recipes, it’s made with ingredients that are fresh, in season, and of good quality. It’s that simple! This recipe calls for a good mozzarella, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, pureed ripe tomatoes, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and fresh herbs (or a good quality Italian seasoning mix). Added together, that equals pure deliciousness. It’s so easy to enjoy one serving and exercise some portion control when its cooked in ramekins or individual baking dishes!
Servings: 6 | Serving Size: 1-1/4 cup, 1 ramekin | Calories: 210 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 32 mg | Sodium: 367 mg | Carbohydrates: 9 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 14 g | SmartPoints: 7
- 10 whole wheat or fortified (the new omega-3 and protein variety) lasagna noodles, no-boil variety or boiled according to package directions
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) fresh or good quality part-skim or lower-fat mozzarella, grated, sliced, or chopped, divided
- 1 cup skim or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes plus 1 tomato, sliced into 6, thin rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow or green zucchini, grated on the large holes of a box grater (cheese grater)
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning or 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil and oregano mix
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a small bowl, mix together ricotta, squash, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, and half of the mozzarella.
Puree the tomatoes, salt, garlic, Italian seasoning or fresh herbs, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a blender or food processor on high until smooth.
Spray or coat the bottoms and sides of the ramekins or baking dishes with olive oil. Add a spoonful of tomato sauce to the bottom of each.
Tear or cut the lasagna noodles into 4 pieces. Place one piece of lasagna noodle, top with ricotta mixture, top with a noodle, add sauce and mozzarella, and then add the ricotta mixture, and repeat. For the final layer of each, top all of the ramekins with a lasagna noodle, some of the tomato sauce, then a slice of the tomato and a sprinkle of the Parmesan cheese and some freshly ground black pepper.
Cover each ramekin tightly with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Serve in the individual baking dishes or ramekins. Caution: Dishes will be hot.