1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 boneless beef rump roast or chuck roast (4 lb), well trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 4 small yellow onions, cut into wedges
- 4 large carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 bulb garlic, separated into cloves, peeled and cut lengthwise in half
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bottle (750 ml) spicy full-bodied red wine (Merlot or Cabernet)
- Bouquet garni
- Fresh thyme leaves, if desired
- 1In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Brown beef in batches in hot oil until browned on all sides. Remove beef to large plate.
- 2Add onions, carrots and garlic to drippings in Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and wine. Return beef to pan; add bouquet garni. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 1 hour 30 minutes. Cool completely. Cover; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- 3Remove Dutch oven from refrigerator. Skim fat from surface, if desired. Let stand 20 minutes. Heat to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 1 hour. Uncover; simmer 30 minutes longer or until beef is very tender and stew is thickened. Remove bouquet garni before serving. Garnish with thyme.
Source : allrecipes.Com