Yield : 12 Serving (tortillas)
Serving Size: 1 (729 g)
– 3 -4 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tsp. salt
– 2 tsps. baking powder
– 1⁄2 cup shortening
– 1 -1 1⁄2 cup warm water
1. Combine the 3 cups flour, salt and baking powder in large bowl.
2. Either by hand, or with pastry blender, work in the shortening until crumbly (you can add a little more shortening if the mixture looks too floury).
3. Slowly add the water (I start with 1 cup and add more as needed) to flour mixture while tossing with a fork.
4.W ith your hands, knead dough vigorously for about 2 minutes, until it forms a nice dough ball.
5. Cover with cloth and let stand at least 15 minutes.
6. Take a ball of dough (golf ball size for small, slightly more for bigger tortillas) and roll into a ball.
7. Roll in flour to cover.
8 .On floured surface, roll out dough evenly and very thin.
9. Place each tortilla on a medium hot cast iron skillet.
10. Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until the tortilla no longer looks doughy.
– the ingredients are fairly accurate, but feel free to adjust to get the correct consistency.
Nutritional Info :
Calories 189.7, Total Fat 8.8 g, Saturated Fat 2.2 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 255.5 mg, Total Carbohydrate 24 g, Dietary Fiber 0.8 g, Sugars 0.1 g, Protein 3.2 g