- 5 tablespoons butter – divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil –
- 1 cup all purpose flour –
- 1 and 1/2 cup cornmeal –
- 1 teaspoon salt –
- 2 teaspoons baking powder –
- 1/4 cup sugar –
- 1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk –
- 1 egg – lightly beaten
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- add 4 tablespoons of the butter and oil to a round cake pan. put in the oven to melt, about 3-5 minutes.
- meanwhile, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
- gradually add milk and stir until just combined.
- add egg; stir.
- remove hot butter and oil from oven. pour half of the butter/oil mixture into the cornbread batter and leave the rest in the pan. carefully stir in the butter/oil mixture into batter. pour the batter into the center of the pan, so the batter will push the remaining melted butter/oil mixture to the sides of the pan, which will make a crunchy crust!
- put in the preheated oven for 40 – 50 minutes or until lightly browned. once out the oven, rub the top of the cornbread with the last tablespoon of butter.
Source : allrecipes.Com