4. 90-90 shoulder stretch. Begin by standing in a doorway. Raise your arms so your elbows form 90-degree angles and your upper arms form 90-degree angles at your shoulders. Place each hand on one of the sides of the door frame. Stand so one foot is forward and the body is upright, neck aligned with the spine. Lean forward, bracing yourself against the door frame. Hold the stretch for 20 to 30 seconds, as instructed by Genesis.
5. Turmeric pain reliever. Home Remedy Hacks recommends applying a home remedy of coconut or olive oil mixed with turmeric directly to the shoulder to benefit from the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric. Avoid lying down with this paste on, as the turmeric will stain.
6. Garlic. Like turmeric, garlic is anti-inflammatory. To relieve pain, massage garlic oil into the strained shoulder, says Home Remedy Hacks.
7. Stand straight. It sounds simple, but Arthritis Research UK explains the importance of good posture in treating shoulder pain and preventing it from getting worse. Check yourself when sitting that you’re not slouching and when standing that your head is in line with your shoulders. Always make an effort to keep your shoulder blades up and back. Small adjustments can make a monumental difference.
8. Sleep right. If shoulder pain makes it difficult to sleep, try this supported sleep position, as suggested by Arthritis Research UK. Lay on your good side with a pillow under your neck and a pillow in front of the body so you have a place to prop up your arm.
Which of these home remedies worked for you? Tell us when you SHARE this article on social media!
RESOURCES HOME REMEDY HACKS, THE STONE CLINIC, GENESIS ORTHOPEDIC & SPORTS MEDICINE, AND ARTHRITIS RESEARCH UK