- 1 bag Salt Cod
- 2 pound potatoes
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tsp Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons Oil for frying
- Place cod in a pot and cover with cold water, bring to a boil and drain and repeat. I did this 3 – 4 times. Drain fish and put in a bowl and using a fork “chunk” it up and set aside.
- In another pot boil the potatoes (peeling still on) in salted water until tender (about 35 minutes), drain and put in fridge until cold. Once cold peel and chop potatoes, add them to the fish.
- Add the onion, egg, salt and pepper. I use my hands for the next step, mix together until combined. Then form into patties.
- Heat about half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Do not over crowd the fish cakes – cook in batches adding more oil as needed. Fry the fish, flipping only ONCE – roughly 5-8 minutes per side, they should be a nice golden crispy brown. If you flip before the patty has crisped up the fishcake will fall apart.
- Transfer cakes to paper towels to drain, and season with salt and pepper. ENJOY!