It turns out, there are tons of filling veggie options out there that are bursting with flavor and that taste just as good as some of our meat-filled favorites, this portobello veggie burger being one of them! If you haven’t tried something similar, you’ll be shocked to know that portobello mushrooms, when grilled, can take on a distinctly beefy flavor that tastes amazing and that we can’t get enough of. We paired said mushrooms with black beans and broccoli, and then we got grilling. The result is a crispy patty that’ll knock your socks off…try it out and see for yourself!
Portobello Veggie Burgers
45 MIN TO PREPARE, SERVES 6-8
- 2 1/2 cups portobello mushrooms, gills removed, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 1/4 cups fresh broccoli, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Olive or vegetable oil, as needed
- Mash 1 cup beans in a large bowl until semi-smooth. Add remaining beans, mushrooms, broccoli, onion and garlic, and stir to combine.
- Add parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs into mixture, then add egg. Stir well to combine, making sure that everything is fully incorporated.
- Season veggie mixture with salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning and red pepper flakes, then mix everything to combine.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and use dampened hands to start forming your veggie patties. Note:
- Once oil is hot, place 2-3 patties in skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Transfer patties to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, then serve hot.
Recipe adapted from The Kitchen Whisperer