- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (8 oz), finely diced
- 2 cups (8 oz) diced carrots (2 large carrots)
- 2 cups (8 oz) diced celery
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (26 oz) container Pomi chopped tomatoes; or 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ½ cup grated Parmesan for serving
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the oil.
- Stir in the onions, carrots and celery and season with half the salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, garlic, the remaining salt and pepper, oregano, rosemary and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring to break up the beef as it cooks, until the beef is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beef broth, tomatoes and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Divide the vegetable beef soup among six individual bowls (appetizer) or four individual bowls (main course) and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 279; Fat: 15g; Carbohydrates: 15g; Sugar: 2g; Sodium: 810mg;Fiber: 4g; Protein: 21g