- 24 Jumbo Shells, uncooked
- 2 cups low-sodium canned tomato sauce
- 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 8 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat, part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated (about 2/3 cup)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Large pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse under cold water until completely cool. Drain thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Squeeze out as much water as possible from the thawed spinach. I used a few paper towels and pressed the leaves in them to remove the excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, stir together the spinach, mozzarella, ricotta, shredded carrots, egg whites, pepper and nutmeg until thoroughly blended.
- Line the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Divide the ricotta mixture among the pasta shells, pressing the filling into the shells with spoon to completely fill each shell. You could also use a large tipped pastry bag for a more even filling.
- Arrange the shells side by side in a baking dish. Coat the shells with an even layer of the remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Bake until the center of the shells are heated through and the sauce is bubbling (about 40 minutes). Let stand 10+ minutes before serving.