The acidity of the tomatoes gets rid of any sliminess, and the garlic/cumin seasonings is delicious. Serve this okra stew as a tasty side dish to meat, or as a vegan main dish over brown rice.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1.5 lb. fresh okra
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 26 oz chopped tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the okra, trim the ends, and cut into pieces (cut each okra into 2-3 pieces, depending on its size). You’ll end up with about 1.25 lb. okra.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pan over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and salt, and sauté until tender, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté 1 more minute, then add the paprika and cumin and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the okra. Cook 1 minute, stirring, then add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until okra is tender.
- Remove from heat. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 135; Fat: 4g; Carbohydrates: 22g; Sugar: 1g; Fiber: 7g; Protein: 5g.