- ABOUT 6 BOWLS
- 4 to 5 pound whole chicken
- 4 to 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 2 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- noodles, optional!
- Rinse the chicken and remove the inside parts. Place the chicken in a large stockpot, add the chicken broth, and then add enough water to cover the chicken.
- Bring the chicken in broth to a boil, if there is visible fat, skim it and discard. Then add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and parsnip.
- Simmer until chicken is tender- about 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and let rest until it’s cool enough to handle.
- Shred the chicken apart, then add back to the soup.
- Stir in the parsley and dill. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- If you want noodles in the soup, add them to the broth, bring to a boil again and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes (or until noodles are tender).