- Serving Size: 1/2 Chicken Breast |
- 4 raw, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8 oz. each)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs (or make your own with toasted bread)
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 jar marinara, no sugar added (purchase size appropriate to the number of people you are serving.
- Approximately 1/2 cup per chicken breast)
- Mozzarella (optional) – 1 package grated should be plenty
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Put the egg whites in to a medium bowl as well and whisk with a fork to loosen them up a bit. About 1-2 minutes should do the trick.
- Set up an “assembly line” workstation. First comes the plate of raw chicken, then a bowl with the egg whites, and lastly the bread crumb mixture.
- Dip a chicken breast in to the egg whites, being sure to coat both sides well. Then dip in to the bread crumbs and turn several times to coat well. Place the chicken on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Bake at 350 F. for approximately 40-50 minutes. The chicken should be at least 165 F. on a thermometer. Bake until it reaches that temperature. If you are adding mozzarella, sprinkle some on in the last 5 minutes of baking. Watch carefully and remove the moment cheese is melted.
- Serve with some marinara poured over the top. No need to warm it first because the chicken will still be hot if served immediately.
- Note: This is just as good without dairy. Simply omit the cheese from the recipe.
- Leftovers: Make a yummy chicken sandwich or chicken wrap with this the next day.
Nutritional Info :
- Calories: 216 | Total Fat: 6 gm | Saturated Fats: 2 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 55 mg | Sodium: 133 mg (use low sodium tomato sauce to lower this) | Carbohydrates: 9 gm | Dietary fiber: 1 gm | Sugars: 1 gm | Protein: 30 gm | SmartPoints: 4