A healthy alternative to most banana chocolate chip muffins, this one uses oats and substitutes apple sauce instead of cooking oil!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup mashed banana
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- Stir whole wheat flour, rolled oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and chocolate chips together in a bowl. Make a well in the center. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl until frothy; mix applesauce, skim milk, and banana into eggs. Pour moist ingredients into well made in dry ingredients; stir just to moisten. Batter will be lumpy. Fill prepared muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of several muffins comes out clean, 16 to 18 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to finish cooling on wire racks.