(makes 4 pints)
- 6 1/2 lbs apples cored, peeled, and sliced
- 2 cups apple cider
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place the apples in a large pot, add the cider, and cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the apples are soft (should be about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and salt.
- Transfer the apple mixture to a slow cooker. Add spices. Cook on low overnight (10-12 hours) or until the mixture thickens and is a dark brown.
- Uncover, stir in vanilla and lemon zest, and continue cooking uncovered on low for about 2 hours
- Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender, or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to sterile containers and refrigerate for up to two weeks or freeze.
Recipe adapted from My Baking Addiction