GRUYERE CAULIFLOWER GRATIN
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated (or use swiss cheese)
- 2/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs or Panko
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Heat 3 inches of salted water in a large pot over high heat and add cauliflower florets. Cover and steam for 6-8 minutes, or until just fork tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 stick butter over medium-high heat and whisk in flour to create a roux. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and paste-like.
- Continue to whisk and slowly pour in milk until combined. Bring to a boil and cook until sauce thickens. 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, then stir in gruyere and cook until melted and smooth.
- Place cooked cauliflower in a large baking dish and pour sauce evenly over the top.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and, in a small bowl, stir it into breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over cauliflower, then place baking dish in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top is browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from My Recipes