If you’re looking to transport your taste buds to the sunny shores of Greece, you’re in for a treat. Greek cuisine is celebrated for its vibrant flavors, fresh ingredients, and the way it seamlessly combines tradition with innovation. Today, we’ll embark on a culinary adventure to create Greek Spinach and Cheese Quiche Squares, a mouthwatering fusion of classic Greek ingredients in a modern twist. These delectable squares are perfect for brunches, picnics, or a delightful snack. Get ready to savor every bite!
Ingredients: The Mediterranean Pantry
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup cold water
For the Filling:
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for sautéing
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- Fresh dill for garnish
Instructions: Crafting Your Greek Quiche Masterpiece
Step 1: Preparing the Crust
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture.
- Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add cold water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Step 2: Sautéing the Spinach and Aromatics
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped spinach and sauté until wilted.
- Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
Step 3: Preparing the Filling
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Add the crumbled feta, ricotta, grated Parmesan, dried oregano, dried dill, salt, and black pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in the sautéed spinach mixture.
Step 4: Assembling the Quiche
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a square baking dish.
- Roll out the chilled crust dough to fit the baking dish.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the dish, making sure to go up the sides.
- Pour the spinach and cheese mixture onto the crust and spread it evenly.
- Top with cherry tomato halves and Kalamata olive slices.
Step 5: Baking to Perfection
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the quiche is set and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Garnish with fresh dill.
Tips: Enhancing Your Culinary Skills
- Freshness Matters: For the best flavor, use fresh spinach and high-quality cheeses.
- Make It Ahead: This dish can be prepared a day in advance and reheated for convenience.
- Customize Your Fillings: Add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, or roasted red peppers for extra Mediterranean flair.
- Gluten-Free Option: Substitute almond flour or a gluten-free flour blend for the crust to make it gluten-free.
As you savor the exquisite flavors of these Greek Spinach and Cheese Quiche Squares, you’ll find yourself transported to the enchanting landscapes of Greece. The creamy, herb-infused filling combines perfectly with the flaky crust, while the cherry tomatoes and Kalamata olives provide delightful pops of color and taste. Whether enjoyed as a light dinner, brunch centerpiece, or a delightful picnic treat, this dish embodies the essence of Greek cuisine – simple yet full of character.
So, gather your ingredients, let your creativity flow, and embark on a culinary journey to Greece, one delicious square at a time. Opa!