- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a shallow 1 quart baking dish.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, white sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Mix in the milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Stir in nuts. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Mix brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa powder together; sprinkle over batter in baking dish. Pour the boiling water slowly over the top of the batter and topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. The top of the cake will be set and the bottom will be soft. Invert hot cake onto a platter to serve.