- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen Whole Catch® Wild-Caught Sea Scallops (Jumbo or U-15)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Using paper towels, pat scallops very dry and arrange on a plate. Season all over with salt and pepper.
Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat until very hot but not smoking, 1 to 2 minutes. Arrange scallops in skillet in a single layer and cook, without touching, until deep golden brown underneath, about 2 minutes. Using a small metal spatula, swiftly loosen and flip each scallop. Cook until deep golden brown on the second side and just firm and opaque, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a large plate and serve immediately.
For an Easy Sauce
After removing cooked scallops from skillet, reduce heat to medium-low and whisk 3 tablespoons lemon juice into the skillet, scraping up any browned bits. Add 2 tablespoons cold butter a few cubes at a time and continue whisking constantly until just melted. Whisk in 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Drizzle over scallops. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
What else should I know?
– Make scallops for 1 or 10. Just remove and thaw only the scallops you need.
– Use this same method to sear all manner of fresh or frozen scallops; for smaller varieties, such as bay scallops, the searing time will be shorter.