- 4 SERVINGS
- 3 to 4 pounds of bone-in chicken pieces (drumsticks, breasts, thighs)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 8 large garlic cloves, halved
- several sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc is good)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium- high heat. Cook the chicken, skin-side-down, until the skin turns golden brown (about 4 minutes).
- 2. Combine the onion, garlic and thyme in a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Top with chicken, skin-side-up. In a small bowl, whisk together wine and flour until smooth and pour it over the chicken and into the slow cooker. Cover and cook until the chicken is tender- 3 1/2 hours on HIGH or 7 hours on LOW.
- 3. Serve chicken topped with sauce. Serve over rice, couscous, polenta or potatoes.TIPS:
- *This recipe is gluten-free adaptable- substitute gluten-free flour or tapioca starch for the all-purpose flour.
- *A delicious accompaniment to this dish is polenta. Prepare instant polenta as directed, substituting milk for 1/2 of the water and adding in 1 tablespoon of butter and a spoonful or two of cream cheese.
- *If you would prefer to cook this in the oven, brown the chicken in a Dutch oven, then add remaining ingredients plus 1 cup chicken broth. Cover and cook at 350 degrees F. until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 40 minutes.