- 1 (8 oz.) container mini mozzarella cheese balls
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups panko (or seasoned) breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, as needed, for frying
- Drain your mozzarella balls and bat them dry with paper towels. Note: any mozzarella you decide to save for later should be stored in the liquid it came in (or submerged in a bowl of water).
- Set up an assembly line with three shallow bowls: flour in the first bowl, beaten eggs in the second, and breadcrumbs in the third.
- Add garlic powder, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to the panko breadcrumbs and mix together thoroughly.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a large Dutch oven to 375º F (make sure there’s at least 2-3 inches of space between the top of the oil and the top of the pot).
- Take your dry mozzarella balls in dredge each one thoroughly in flour. Shake off excess and then submerge them in eggs.
- Drip off excess egg and roll them each in seasoned panko mixture, pressing firmly so it adheres.
- Transfer balls to a baking sheet and place in freezer for 10-15 minutes, or until chilled.
- Carefully lower cheese balls into 375º F oil and fry for 1-1 1/2 minutes, flipping occasionally, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove cheese balls and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve immediately with cheese dip (no such thing as too much cheese) or marinara sauce.
Source : allrecipes.com