Cabbage is fried with bacon, onion, and garlic for a side dish you’ll want to eat again and again.
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF CABBAGE?
Cabbage is packed with nutrients including Vitamin K, Vitamin C, potassium and magnesium. Cabbage helps to improve digestion and curbs inflammation. It also has the potential to help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
HOW DO YOU MAKE FRIED CABBAGE?
This recipe starts with bacon, which gets cooked until crisp. A pile of diced onions go into the bacon fat to cook, then chopped cabbage is added to the mix. Everything gets cooked together until the cabbage is wilted. Add a little parsley and you’re ready to eat!
HOW DO YOU CORE A CABBAGE?
A cabbage core is typically tough and not optimal for eating, so you’ll want to remove your cabbage core before proceeding with the recipe. To core the cabbage, cut your cabbage head in half and use a knife to slice around the core to remove it.
TIPS FOR FRIED CABBAGE
- Don’t have bacon on hand? You can try another meat such as ham or smoked sausage. You’ll need to add some oil to the pan to compensate for the lack of bacon grease if you go that route.
- You can make fried cabbage with different varieties of the vegetable, such as purple cabbage, Savory cabbage and the traditional green cabbage.
- Don’t be tempted to buy a bag of pre-shredded cabbage for this dish. The cabbage should be cut into 1 inch pieces for the most authentic results
- Fried cabbage makes great leftovers, so make a double batch and save some for the next day!
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onion, and Garlic Recipe
- Place the bacon in a large stockpot and cook over medium-high heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion caramelizes; about 10 minutes. Immediately stir in the cabbage and continue to cook and stir another 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes more.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
- 6 servings
- Amount per serving (6 total)
- Calories: 194 kcal
- Fat: 12.9 g
- Carbs: 15.5g
- Protein: 6.4 g
- Cholesterol: 19 mg
- Sodium: 1435 mg