Everything Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
Yields one 9x13in. tray
5 cups Rice Krispies cereal (or something similar)
4 Tbsp (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
10.5 oz bag of marshmallows (10 oz bag will work, too)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I use the creamy unsalted PB from Trader Joe’s with peanuts as only ingredient)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
3/4 c. shredded coconut, toasted
1. Prepare your tray. Line a 9x13in pan with parchment paper. To help it stay in place, you can spray the pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray, then press the parchment on top.
2. To toast the shredded coconut: Spread shredded coconut onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. In a preheated 350 degree oven, bake for about 8 minutes or until golden brown. Do not burn! Check after about 5 minutes and keep an eye on it. It can darken quickly.
3. Measure out Rice Krispies into a bowl. If you’ve made Rice Krispies treats before, you know that having everything ready to go is helpful!
4. On medium heat on stovetop, melt the butter is a large pot. Once the butter is melted, add marshmallows. Use a heat-resistant spatula to stir marshmallows frequently until completely melted, so it won’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
5. When the marshmallows have formed a melted goo, add peanut butter to the mixture. Mix well until incorporated. Try to do this quickly.
6. Turn off heat. Off the stovetop, add Rice Krispies cereal. With the spatula, carefully stir until marshmallow mixture and cereal are blended. It helps to scrape the marshmallow mixture from the bottom and fold it over the top of the cereal, repeating this motion.
7. Assemble: Dump mixture into your prepared parchment-lined pan. Spread mixture, creating an even layer on the bottom of the pan.
8. In a microwaveable bowl, microwave chocolate chips in 30 second intervals (stirring in between) until completely melted. It should take less than 2 minutes. Do not burn chocolate.
9. Add melted chocolate on top of the Rice Krispies layer. Use spatula to even it out, so the Rice Krispie layer is completely covered. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top of the chocolate.
10. Pop the pan into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes or until the chocolate is completely set and hardened.
11. Eat: At this point, you’re pretty much done. The layered Rice Krispies treat should come out of the pan easily by gently lifting the parchment out of the pan. If you don’t want one giant Everything Rice Krispies Treat, then cut into pieces however you like.