- 2 eggplants, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons water
- fresh parsley, to taste, chopped
- tomato sauce, garnish
- Heat 2 inches of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Oil is ready when water droplets sizzle when dropped into it.
- Place cubed eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with salt, toss to mix together, then let rest 30 minutes as excess water drains.
- Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and dried basil in a medium bowl and whisk together.
- In a second bowl, whisk together eggs and water.
- Place flour in a third, shallow bowl. Season each dish generously with salt and pepper.
- Working in small batches, dredge cubed eggplant in flour until completely coated.
- Shake off excess, then dunk eggplant in egg wash. Shake off excess again and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- Once you’ve coated all the eggplant, work in batches and carefully lower eggplant into hot oil and fry for 30-45 seconds, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley and dipped in tomato sauce. Enjoy!
Source : allrecipes.com