Yield: 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian pork sausage (I used the Whole Foods brand)
- 1 lb. frozen spinach, whole leaves
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack (or cheddar) cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the frozen spinach and cook, stirring often and breaking it up, until it’s defrosted. Allow to slightly cool, then place the spinach in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Wipe the skillet clean and add a teaspoon of olive oil. Add the sausage and cook, stirring and breaking it up, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained spinach, tomatoes, garlic, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper to the skillet. Mix everything to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Whisk the eggs with the remaining salt and pepper. Pour on top of the sausage mixture. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake until eggs are set and cheese is browned, about 30 minutes. Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: ⅙ casserole; Calories: 367; Fat: 26g; Saturated fat: 13g;Carbohydrates: 7g; Sugar: 1g; Sodium: 958mg; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 24g