Yield: 4 servings
- 1 large cauliflower heads (1 lb. after trimming)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (8oz)
- 8 oz frozen whole leaf spinach
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg yolk
- Cut the cauliflower into chunks or florets. Place in a large, microwave-safe bowl, add ½ cup water, cover, and microwave until very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the beef, onions, spinach and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook, stirring often and breaking up the meat as you cook, until beef is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring, 1 more minute. Turn heat off.
- Puree the hot cauliflower in your food processor with the remaining salt and pepper, butter and garlic powder. When very smooth, add the egg yolk and process for a few more seconds, until fluffy.
- Place the beef mixture in a square 8-inch, broiler safe baking dish, or a baking dish of a similar capacity. Spread the mashed cauliflower on top. Broil, 6 inches away from heat, just until cauliflower is browned, about 5 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on a cooling rack before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 458; Fat: 33g; Saturated fat: 15g; Carbohydrates: 15g; Sugar: 1g;Sodium: 708mg; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 26g