- 10 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 pound dried lentils, picked over, rinsed & drained
- 4 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 cups hot water
- chopped chives for garnish, optional
- In a large pot, combine the broth, lentils, carrots, onions, celery, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and vegetables are tender (about 30 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes (with juice), vinegar and pepper. Add the water (amount depending on how much soupy broth you desire). Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the flavors have blended, 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle individual servings with chives, if desired.
Source : recipegirl.com