Dr Pepper Cake Is An Easy and Classic Chocolate Recipe!
What Is the Flavor of Dr Pepper?
The fun thing about this cake recipe, is that the Dr Pepper adds to, and enhances the flavor of the chocolate. I know you have heard of adding coffee to chocolate cake, or espresso powder to brownies, right? Well, same concept! Dr Pepper has a really interesting flavor. Of course, it’s got that cola flavor, but beyond that it has a whole undercurrent of flavors that you might not be able to detect on their own, like cherry, licorice, vanilla, amaretto, plum, nutmeg…and the list goes on. It’s a complex combination, but that’s the magic of Dr Pepper I guess!
btw this is totally NOT sponsored! haha
AND please note, that even if you don’t like Dr Pepper, you will like this cake. The flavor isn’t prominent, it just adds a little something.
How Do You Make Dr Pepper Cake?
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s very simple to make and it’s a great chocolate cake to prepare for a party or potluck! It’s a classic sheet cake recipe that is a single layer cake, and like I said before, the chocolate frosting is poured on top while the cake is warm. so it half absorbs into the cake and half remains on top making it fudgy and delicious!
What Ingredients Do You Need For This Cake Recipe?
This is a great cake for the beginner baker. It’s an easy cake recipe to make, and the ingredients are simple. Here is what you will need:
- Dr Pepper. This adds liquid and flavor to the recipe, plus the carbonation aids in how the cake rises!
- Vegetable Oil and Butter. The combo of the two is where the magic happens. The oil keeps the texture light, and the butter adds flavor. You could use all vegetable oil, or all butter, but you would lose some flavor and texture if omitting the butter, and if you use all butter you will get a slightly denser cake. Also you can use any light oil, like canola if you would prefer not to use vegetable oil.
- Cocoa Powder. Use unsweetened cocoa powder. You can use regular or Dutch Process, or even Hershey’s Special Dark. I’ve done it all the ways! Pictured here the Hershey’s Dark Cocoa Powder was used which is why the cake is a little darker in color. The Dark cocoa powder adds a deeper chocolate flavor.
- Granulated Sugar. You need a little more sweetener than the soda offers, and granulated sugar is a mild sugar, allowing the soda and cocoa flavors to come through!
- Flour. Just regular all purpose flour works great!
- Baking Soda. You need a little baking soda in this recipe so the cake rises.
- Eggs. Eggs in baking cakes add to the light texture, and moisture. Eggs help trap air to aid in the lightness of cake baking!
- Buttermilk. Buttermilk is another ingredient that will aid in the lighter, moist texture in baking cakes, due to the acid breaking down the strands of gluten!
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
PLEASE, USE THE NEXT PAGE BUTTON OR OPEN BUTTON BELOW FOR THE RECIPE AND INGREDIENTS.