- 1 pkg Hurst’s® HamBeens® 15 Bean Soup®
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth (can sub water, beef, or vegetable broth for added flavor)
- 1 leftover ham bone with meat (or ham hocks, diced ham or 1 lb. cooked sausage)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Optional: Hot sauce or crushed red pepper to taste
- Rinse beans and drain. Sort any unwanted debris and set seasoning packet aside.
- Place beans, onions, ham bone, broth/water, garlic and chili powder in a 6qt slow cooker.
- Cook on high 5 hours (or low for 7-8) or until beans are tender.
- Once tender, remove the hambone (if used) and chop any meat left on the bone and add it back to the pot.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, Ham Flavor packet, and lemon juice.
- Cook for additional 30 minutes.