I love making casseroles with tater tots. And if it were for my kids, they’ll make me prepare these casseroles everyday! Check out this lovely cowboy casserole.
Cowboy Casserole makes the most of everyday ingredients by transforming a can of this and a pound of that into a hearty casserole. Make the base by cooking down a chopped yellow onion in a skillet. Toss in slices of fresh garlic with the onion and as they cook together, the flavors will meld to create a savory base for the rest of the dish. Brown a pound of ground beef to the skillet and season with a packet of taco seasoning. Adding the packet to the warm meat and onion mixture let the spices bloom in the naturally rendered fat from the beef, intensifying their flavor.
Dump cans of black beans, pinto beans, diced fire-roasted tomatoes, and diced green chiles into the skillet to add heartiness to the casserole. Stir in a little sour cream and cheese to lend a touch of creaminess, and add hot sauce and frozen corn kernels for some spice and sweetness. Lastly, once the mix has been transferred to a baking dish, line the surface with a single layer of tater tots that crisp in the oven while the bottoms bake into the casserole. It’s this layer of crispy potato on top that makes Cowboy Casserole famous—once you try it, you’ll know why.
- 1 ½ pounds of ground beef.
- 1 chopped medium onion.
- 3 chopped cloves of garlic.
- 1 can (15.25 oz) of drained whole kernel corn.
- 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup.
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- ½ cup of milk.
- 4 tbsps of sour cream.
- 1 (30 oz) bag of frozen tater tots.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Cook the onion in a large skillet and mix in the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in the beef and cook over medium heat until browned. Drain off the fat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mix together the soup, milk and sour cream in a small bowl until well combined then pour over the hamburger mixture and mix. Mix in the corn and 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Layer half of the crispy crowns on the bottom of the dish and spread all the hamburger mixture on top. Add a second layer of the tater tots and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and Voila!
- Serves : 12
- WW SP: 11
- 275 calories
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!