This EASY Mexican Cornbread Recipe is one of the best cornbreads I’ve ever had! The cornbread mix is filled with jalapeños and cheese making this the perfect side dish.
This super moist Mexican style cornbread gets its fabulous flavor and texture from the cream-style corn and shredded cheese. Onion, bell peppers, and jalapeno peppers give it some nice heat and extra flavor. It’s a popular variation of everyone’s favorite Southern-style cornbread.
Serve this tasty cornbread with beans or a hearty chili. It’s great with greens, too!
Feel free to substitute mild chopped chile peppers for the jalapeno peppers. Anaheim peppers or more chopped sweet bell pepper would be good as well. Or replace the Monterey Jack cheese with a Mexican-style seasoned cheese.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 4.5 ounce can of chopped green chili peppers, drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Blend in cream corn, chilies, Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to corn mixture; stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into center of the pan comes out clean.