- 1 (6 oz.) package long grain and wild rice (including flavor packet)
- 1 (32 oz.) box low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Melt olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and sauté onion and carrot until softened. 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1 minute, then add flour, marjoram and seasoning packet from rice package. Stir together and cook for another 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and water, then stir in rice. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until rice is cooked through.
- Optional: in a small saucepan over medium heat warm up heavy cream until scalded (just before simmering; small bubbles on the outer edge of cream).
- Pour (warmed) cream into soup and stir together. Add chicken, then taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Cook on low for another 15 minutes so flavors blend together, then ladle into serving bowls and serve hot. Enjoy!
Source : allrecipes.com