This Overnight Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole is a classic breakfast in our house! I’ve been having it on holiday mornings since I was a kid and have carried the tradition into adulthood. It’s a wonderfully easy breakfast to share as a family on busy holiday mornings!
AN EASY OVERNIGHT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
Every Christmas for as long as I can remember, we’ve had this breakfast casserole for breakfast. We also tend to have it for Thanksgiving, Easter and any day it seems appropriate. Shoot, the hubs would happily have it all year long.
HOW TO MAKE THIS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPE
Anywho, this casserole is maybe the easiest thing ever to put together. There are so many versions out there, but this is the one I use and love. It’s wonderful to wake up in the morning and have it ready to go straight into the oven. On Christmas, we often pop it the oven, then open some presents while it bakes.
To get started making it, there’s some bread. I don’t use fresh bread from the bakery in this one, like I would a french toast casserole, because I don’t want anything too firm or crunchy. I want the eggs and sausage to shine in here. I tend to use a regular loaf of bread, often of the sourdough variety because I love it. But really any should work just fine.
Sausage and cheese are sprinkled over the bread and let’s be honest, you can’t go wrong with either of those. A full pound of sausage and two cups of cheese should be plenty, but if you feel the need for more you go for it!
Then we’ve got eggs, milk, and some dry mustard, salt and pepper for flavor. The whole casserole is covered and stored in the fridge overnight. Baking it the next morning couldn’t be easier!
You may need to bake it for a little more or less time depending on your oven and how soft or “runny” you prefer the casserole to be. I don’t really like it to be runny, but I also don’t want it to dry out. To check it, use a fork or knife to stick in the middle and see how soft it still is. When it’s done, you’ll definitely be rewarded!
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
My mom has always made this for us on Christmas morning, and since we only have it once a year it makes it even more good. It is so delicious, and everyone enjoys it.
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 6 slices white bread, toasted and cut into cubes
- 8 ounces mild Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown; drain.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk. Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE.. PLEASE, USE THE NEXT PAGE LINK BUTTON OR OPPEN BUTTON BELOW FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!