1/2 cup unsalted butter-melted and slightly cooled
2 1/2 cups milk-lukewarm
1 3/4 cups (210 g) powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon water
1 cup (115g) flour
1/2 cup (43 g) cocoa powder
2 tablespoons espresso or strong coffee-lukewarm
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
powdered sugar for dusting
maraschino cherries for garnish-optional
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease 8×8 inch baking dish, set aside
- Whisk together flour and cocoa powder and set aside.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form, set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and powdered sugar until pale yellow.
- Mix in melted butter, vanilla and espresso until evenly combined (for about 2 minutes)
- Mix in the flour and cocoa mixture until evenly incorporated.
- Slowly beat in the milk until well combined.
- Gently fold in the egg whites (1/3 at a time, then repeat until all of the egg whites are folded in). Use rubber spatula to fold in the egg whites, don’t do this with electric mixer or the cake might not separate in layers while baking.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 50-60 minutes (until the cake is barely jiggly in the center). Baking time might vary depending on your oven or pan you use, but start checking after 50 minutes.
- Cool the cake completely before dusting with powdered sugar. Even cooled, it will be slightly jiggly because it has custard layer in the center.
Source : allrecipes.com