The cupcakes are gluten free and made with coconut flour; the frosting is creamy and fluffy and made with cream cheese and powdered peanut butter. It’s not very sweet, but when combined with the cupcakes, it’s perfect.
Yield: 6 cupcakes
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or melted butter for pan
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- ½ cup water (you can use milk if you prefer, but water works well)
- ½ cup xylitol*
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 8 oz neufchâtel cheese (or reduced-fat cream cheese), room temperature
- 8 tablespoons PB2 (powdered peanut butter)**
- ¼ cup xylitol
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 6 muffin cups with liners, and brush the liners with coconut oil or melted butter.
- Place the remaining muffin ingredients in food processor and process until smooth, 1-2 minutes, stopping once to scrape the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Using a 4-tablespoon ice cream scoop, transfer the batter to the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes completely, about 30 minutes on a cooling rack, before frosting.
- To make the frosting, place the cream cheese, PB2 and xylitol in food processor. Process to combine. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water, as needed, to achieve a creamy consistency. Process 1 more minute, stopping once to scrape the sides and bottom of the food processor bowl.
- Leftovers keep in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before serving.
- Here’s why I believe xylitol and erythritol are safe; if you’re not convinced, replace with equal amounts of granulated sugar (nutrition info will be affected, of course). You can also try using honey or maple syrup, but then you would need to adjust the other liquids in this recipe.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: 1 generously frosted cupcake; Calories: 305; Fat: 18g;Carbohydrates: 12g; Sugar: 9g; Sodium: 386mg; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 11g