- 12 ounces, weight (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ¾ teaspoon salt*
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream (or whole milk) as needed
- Using an electric mixer, slowly mix together butter and cocoa powder until cocoa is incorporated, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to high, and beat for about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down bowl as needed.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add confectioners’ sugar until incorporated. Beat on high for 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down bowl as needed. Add vanilla and beat for 1 minute on high. Scrape down bowl. Beat on high and add 1 tablespoon of heavy cream (or milk) at a time until desired consistency is reached. Like it thicker? Add more confectioners’ sugar.
- Use right away or store in airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 2 months. If refrigerating or freezing, bring buttercream to room temperature, then beat until smooth before serving.
Source : allrecipes.com