- 2 servings
- Prep – 15 mins
- Cooking – 15 mins
- Total – 30 mins
These savoury pancakes from the IQS Breakfast Cookbook are the answer to your weekend breakfast dilemma. Filled with green veggies and sans refined sugar, they won’t leave you feeling stodgy for the rest of the day like the sweet originals do.
- 1 cup plain flour (gluten-free plain flour is you prefer).
- 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper.
- 1 egg, whisked.
- 1 cup milk.
- 1 bunch (20g) chives, finely chopped + extra for serving.
- 4 large kale leaves, stalks removed and finely shredded (about 2 cups worth of leaves).
- 3/4 cups (70g) Parmesan cheese, shredded.
- butter, for frying.
- 2 eggs, poached, to serve.
- 50g smoked salmon to serve (optional).
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Add in the most of the chives (reserve some for serving), kale and Parmesan and mix to combine. Add in the dry ingredients and stir through.
3. Heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Add a little butter to coat the pan. When pan is hot, scoop ½ cup mixture for each pancake and flatten out until 1cm thick. Cook for a few minutes until bottom is golden brown, flip and cook on the other side. Cooking time will be about 4-5 minutes per pancake. Place into a pre-heated oven to keep warm while making the remaining pancakes if you like.
4. Repeat with remaining mixture. You should make 4 pancakes.
5. Divide the pancakes amongst two plates. Top with poached egg, salmon and garnish with chives.