- 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- all purpose flour or cornstarch for dusting (can substitute cornstarch if you are gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin into rounds
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 8 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, finely minced
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 cup Peppadews, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pickling juice from Peppadews
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. I like to use a cast iron pan with enamel coating that I can put right into the oven to finish the dish.
- Dust chicken with flour (or cornstarch, for gluten free).
- Brown chicken on both sides; transfer to a plate.
- Add sausage to same pan the chicken was cooked in, and brown on both sides.
- Remove sausage and drain on paper towels, then cut into slices.
- Return pan to heat, and add onions and bell pepper. Scrape browned bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon while the onions and bell pepper are cooking. Once they start to soften, add the garlic, sage, and rosemary, stirring to combine. Cook for about a minute.
- Add the Peppadews, Peppadew liquid and white wine. Continue to stir and cook until the liquid is reduced by about half, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and fresh lemon juice, stir to combine. Return sausage and chicken to pan.
- Transfer pan to oven and cook for 30 minutes, until chicken is tender. Serve immediately.