40 MINUTES TO PREPARE, SERVES 6
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Place ground chicken, Italian bread crumbs, egg, onion, garlic powder, 1/2 parmesan cheese (1 tablespoon), and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Use your hands to mix everything until just combined. Roll into 1 1/2 inch thick balls, (roughly the size of a golf ball).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Carefully add the meatballs and cook until brown on all sides. Test for doneness by breaking one in half with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- When meat is cooked all the way through (no longer pink), transfer to a large serving bowl, cover with foil and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Stir in flour to make a roux. Continue stirring until it turns a pale brown color and remove from heat. Stir in milk, a little at a time, until smooth.
- Place the saucepan on low heat and add smoked gouda, gruyere, nutmeg and cayenne. Stir constantly until cheese is fully melted, then remove from heat.
- Remove foil from meatballs and pour cheese sauce over them. Use a large serving spoon to gently coat each meatball with sauce.
- Sprinkle in remaining parmesan cheese (1 tablespoon), garnish with chopped parsley and serve!
Recipe adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen