Super Easy And Inexpensive Family Meal You Can Make For Dinner Tonight
If I Was A Rich Man… I Would Still Make This Delish Casserole!
Ever since I was little, I was taught to appreciate what I have and make the most of even the little things. We were a big family and my mother was a genius when it came to making meals on the budget. It seemed as if the casseroles appeared out of nowhere; there was nothing too special in the pantry but all of a sudden she had made an amazing dinner for the whole family.
I think being able to create a grocery budget and stick to it, is a very important skill. My mother made sure we would all know by college, what it took to make your money last for a whole month. I’m very grateful for everything I learned and I think it has made my life richer in so many ways.
This stupendous casserole from Glenda, over at Busy-At-Home, made me think of my mother and everything she taught me. Food doesn’t have to be expensive to taste delicious! And this chicken, broccoli and rice casserole is here to prove it.
Quick Tip: No broccoli in the freezer? Use any veggies you happen to have at hand.
This recipe makes about 10 to 12 servings, and it freezes well! I always make the full batch and whatever leftovers we have, I freeze in individual servings.
I have to say, though – this casserole is so dang tasty that we tend to eat a whole lot more of it than we meant to! Everyone always goes for seconds! But if you’d really like to cut your meal expenses, you could serve this with homemade dinner rolls. That way you can make sure you’ll have more servings for lunch the next day!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked & cut into chunks
- 1 (14 oz) box instant brown rice
- 4 cups water
- ½ medium onion, minced
- ¼ cup Land O’ Lakes butter
- 1 Tablespoon dried sage
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dehydrated minced garlic
- 1 (26 oz) can Campbell’s cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets
- ½ cup Daisy sour cream
- ½ cup Borden heavy cream
- 1 cup McArthur milk
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roast chicken breasts, or cook by your favorite method. I roast large batches in the crock-pot and then divvy it up in different meals throughout the week.
- Bring the water, butter, sage, parsley, garlic, onion and salt to a boil in a large pan or dutch oven.
- Add the entire box of brown rice and return to a boil.
- Once rice is boiling, cover the pan and reduce heat to medium/ low.
- Cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid — 5 to 10 minutes depending on your range.
- Remove lid and add soup, sour cream, cream, milk, cheddar cheese, broccoli and chicken chunks.
- Stir to combine.
- Place, uncovered into preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Quick tip: This casserole freezes well.