CHICKEN AND GUMBO SAUSAGE RECIPE
(makes 4-8 servings)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 3/4lb andouille sausage
- 1/2lb okra, cut crosswise into thick slices
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tobasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- steamed white rice for serving
- In a large skillet, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides (about 8 minutes). Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker then add the sausage. Scatter the okra, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and onion on top.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and warm up the remaining tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle the flour in the pan and cook, stirring constantly until golden brown (about 4 minutes). Stir in the broth and the tomatoes with juice. Increase the heat to medium-high, stirring constantly. When the mixture comes to a boil, remove the pan from the heat. Season with salt, cayenne, Tobasco, and Worcestershire sauce, then pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours. Taste, then season with salt and cayenne to taste. Ladle the gumbo over the steamed rice and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Williams Sonoma