Cheesy Zucchini Eggplant Casserole
- 3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise (1/4-inch thick)
- 1 eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise (1/4-inch thick)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (homemade or stoure-bought)
- 1 cup fontina cheese, grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, plu extra for greasing
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º F and lightly grease 2 baking sheets with olive oil.
- Place zucchini and eggplant strips in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and garlic salt. Season (generously) with salt and/or pepper.
- Once coated, spread veggie strips out on baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes, or until softened and tender.
- Combine tomato sauce and fresh basil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until basil is fragrant and sauce is warmed through.
- Remove baking sheets from oven and begin to form a single layer with 1/3 of zucchini and eggplant strips in a large baking dish.
- Top with 1 cup tomato basil sauce, 1/2 cup fontina cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan.
- Repeat with another layer of veggie strips, and remaining sauce and cheeses.
- Add final layer of zucchini and eggplant and place baking dish in oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Food And Wine