Onward to day three for Apple Week! I saw this recipe for Apple and Cream Cheese Bundt Cake with Caramel Pecan Frosting at Jenny Bakes. It is the essence of Fall flavors in a bundt cake. A moist, spicey cake is mixed with a cream cheese filling, then over the top is a sweet caramel frosting studded with pecans.
Note: The topping for this is quite fussy. When the recipe says to immediately pour the frosting over the cake, please do that! I waited a few minutes too long and it became impossible to pour over the cake and was difficult to work with. Some have had feedback that the topping was more of a glaze, and some have said it was more thick. The longer you let it sit in the pan after preparing the frosting, the thicker it gets.
Apple and Cream Cheese Bundt Cake with Caramel Pecan Frosting, Makes one bundt cake
- Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Apple Cake Batter:
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups peeled and finely chopped apples (about 1 1/2 lb.)
Caramel Pecan Frosting:
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup pecan halves (garnish)
- Prepare Filling: Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended and smooth. Add egg, flour, and vanilla; beat just until blended.
- Prepare Batter: Preheat oven to 350º. Bake pecans in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Stir together 3 cups flour and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in eggs and next 3 ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in apples and pecans.
- Spoon two-thirds of apple mixture into a greased and floured 14-cup Bundt pan. Spoon Cream Cheese Filling over apple mixture, leaving a 1-inch border around edges of pan. Swirl filling through apple mixture using a paring knife. Spoon remaining apple mixture over Cream Cheese Filling.
- Bake at 350º for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 2 hours).
- Prepare Frosting: Bring 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and 3 Tbsp. milk to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly; boil 1 minute, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Gradually whisk in powdered sugar until smooth; stir gently 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture begins to cool and thickens slightly. Pour immediately over cooled cake. Garnish with pecans