Author: Jen Nikolaus
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup shortening or coconut oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- red food coloring
- granulated sugar, for dusting on top
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together butter, shortening or coconut oil, powdered sugar, egg, almond and peppermint extracts.
- Blend in flour and salt.
- Divide dough in half, coloring half of the dough with red food coloring (I used a gel food coloring).
- Pinch off a dime sized piece of both colors. Roll each into a “snake” shape (aka long skinny roll) and then roll both pieces lightly together under your hand on a flat surface (colors will sort of combine).
- Lightly pinching ends, slowly twist one end forward and the other end backward to make it striped like a candy cane.
- Lift carefully to cookie sheet and form a hooked candy cane handle. Bake for about 9 minutes.
- When you pull the cookie sheet out of the oven, sprinkle sugar over the tops of each candy cane.
- Let cool on cookie sheet before carefully removing and placing on flat surface or cooling rack. Enjoy!
(recipe adapted from a family friend)