- 3 1/2 pounds (2 medium) butternut squash, peeled and halved, seeds removed
- 2 (9 oz.) packages frozen creamed spinach, prepared according to directions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1-3 tablespoons heavy cream, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Once you’ve removed the seeds, cut your butternut squash into small, equal-sized cubes and transfer to a bowl.
- Toss cubed squash with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper and lay out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Place in oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and saute onion until softened and translucent, about 8 minutes.
- During the last 1 minute of cooking, add garlic and cook until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lower heat to medium and add cooked creamed spinach to onions and garlic.
- For a creamier gratin, stir in heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired creaminess is achieved.
- Add nutmeg, stir everything together and cook for 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Transfer mixture to a large 9×13-inch baking dish and sprinkle gruyere and parmesan cheese evenly over the top.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Source : allrecipes.com