These baked beans are semi-homemade and the perfect blend of sweet, savory and smoky! Topped with delicious bacon, they’re sure to be a hit!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR HOMEMADE BAKED BEANS
Baked Beans are very simple to make but here are a few tips and tricks:
- Rinse and drain beans. This is a MUST! Rinsing the beans reduces the sodium which in turns reduces your gassiness 😊. To rinse beans, add them all at once to a large colander and gently rinse with cold water. You don’t want to use the spray setting or it can break your beans apart. Take care your beans are thoroughly drained before adding to the sauce. You may need to dab them with paper towels to get rid of excess moisture.
- Use Thick Cut bacon. It is essential to use thick-cut bacon and not traditional bacon in this recipe so it retains its meaty texture and doesn’t get lost in the beans. If you decide to use salt pork, make sure it is RINSED.
- Don’t use kidney beans. As previously discussed, you can essentially use whatever beans you have on hand from navy beans to generic white beans to pinto beans to Northern beans to butter beans. I don’t however, recommend kidney beans or cannellini beans because they have a tougher skin so they require longer cooking to time to soften and therefore will not be done at the same time as the rest of your beans.
- Liquid smoke. I love adding liquid smoke to my Baked Beans because they add a baked-over-an-open-flame taste and smell to our already scrumdiddlyumptious beans. Liquid Smoke can be found next the barbecue sauces at your local grocery store. I prefer Mesquite liquid smoke for these baked beans but you are welcome to use hickory if you prefer.
- Salt to taste. Do to the salty nature of bacon, I didn’t find it necessary to salt these beans. If you feel like something is missing at the end of cooking, then you may need to add salt to taste.
- Adjust Baking time to Adjust Sauce Thickness. If you like thicker sauce, bake beans for a total of 60 minutes OR longer until the sauce is thickened to your liking. For a thinner sauce, bake closer to 45 minutes total.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients: