They took hours to bake… such a special treat! She left her recipe with me, and I was determined to make these doable as an ‘everyday’ dinner option. . . by precooking the ingredients, as it cuts an entire hour off the bake time! Enjoy ☺ !
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 6 green bell peppers, remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes.
- 1.5 pounds grass fed ground beef, or turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6-8 stalks fresh celery, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1.5 cups pre-COOKED brown rice or quinoa (I keep pre-cooked brown rice on hand for meal prep…for this recipe it was only a matter of measuring the rice)
- 1, 25-28 oz glass jar of favorite low-sugar, all-natural marinara sauce.
- 6 Tbsp favorite cheese, optional.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f.
- In a large stock pot of boiling water, parboil the peppers until tender, just 3 minutes. Remove and let dry on paper towels.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the meat, onions, celery, and seasonings. Cook until the meat is browned, stirring to break up the lumps (drain grease).
- Add the precooked rice and marinara sauce and stir well. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- Pour enough water into a baking dish to just cover the bottom, about 1/8-inch deep.
- Stuff the bell peppers evenly with the rice mixture and place in the baking dish
- Bake until the peppers are very tender and the filling is heated through, 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle each with 1 Tbsp shredded cheese (optional) and broil for 5 additional minutes.